Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Now I Lay me Down to Sleep

Now I Lay me Down to Sleep (I)
Elizabeth Love
May 2008

Mixed media on canvas
1020x1020x35mm
$2000

ARTIST STATEMENT for Meridian Energy Plunket Art Show
Aigantighe Art Gallery
31 May - 15 June 2008

Opening night - 30 May 2008
Tickets $25 - Timaru iSite Visitor Information Centre
For the first hour only of opening night, the exhibition will run as a silent auction.


My work has been described as that of a Colourist with canvases often reminiscent of quilts or tapestries, with lavish, brilliant colour. I work in an abstract expressionist way making thoughts visible through layers of thick and thin colour over textured surfaces. My formal visual art training has been design-based with a Certificate in Display & Advertising from Waikato Polytechnic & later tutoring by Auckland calligrapher, Alison Furminger. I am currently mentored long-distance by artist Susan Knaap as I work towards a Diploma of Art & Creativity (Honours) through The Learning Connexion, Wellington. As an artist I value serendipitous learning & long hours.


I acknowledge the work of Plunket in my life when I was a young mother living in Waiouru. The paintings I have chosen to exhibit are from a series titled “Now I Lay me Down to Sleep”. I imagine them to hang in a child’s room as a form of blessing…the painted quilt with its many coloured pieces, moons & stars symbolises the way in which a parent will cover their child for sleep, both physically & spiritually; tucking the child in with a story from colourful, imaginary lands, songs & prayers. A beautiful time that passes so quickly...


May 2008


No comments: