Thursday, May 10, 2007

Be Thou My Wisdom

Soul Hymns (VIII): Be Thou My Wisdom
Mar 2006
Mixed media on canvases, mounted on board
455x455x35mm


This piece was painted as a message to a friend, for the occasion of his 50th birthday. Incorporated in the design are the letters of his name - JOHN.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my Vision - Stanza 2

Words: At­trib­ut­ed to Dal­lan For­gaill, 8th Cen­tu­ry (Rob tu mo bhoile, a Com­di cri­de); trans­lat­ed from an­cient Ir­ish to Eng­lish by Mary E. Byrne, in “Eriú,” Jour­nal of the School of Ir­ish Learn­ing, 1905, and versed by Eleanor J. Hull, 1912, alt. Music: Slane, of Ir­ish folk or­igin.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work Elizabeth! Love the texture in this piece as I do in many of your other works.
What a wonderful thing to do for a friends birthday! Bet she will remember that always!
*HUGS*

Casey Klahn said...

I "tagged" you in a post yesterday.
I view your blog often, but haven't commented enough. Cheers!

Elizabeth Love (née Acheson) said...

Thanks for having a look, Angela. I much prefer working on an uneven surface.

Hi, Casey. Thanks for being out there. I check on your blog often too.
That tagging thing...I've been thinking what to write...

Gina-Maria said...

Lots of talent, absolutely beautiful Elizabeth. I like the cicle/cross theme in your work It brings up plenty of personal interpretation for me...

Elizabeth Love (née Acheson) said...

Welcome, Helen. Very powerful, simple symbols. Take care.